Crazylight Boost 2016 VS KD9 VS D Lillard 2
Today we bring you a three way melee featuring some of the Sole Brothers’ favorite shoes on the market. We bring you the Crazylight Boost 2016 VS KD9 VS D Lillard 2! The silhouettes are fairly similar to each other, are all low tops, and are all signatures or featured shoes of NBA guards. Can Kevin Durant and Nike defeat Damien Lillard, James Harden, and Adidas? Let’s see who comes out on top between the Crazylight Boost 2016 VS KD9 VS D Lillard 2!
2. KD9 (tie): The Nike KD9’s outsole features a honeycomb pattern that provides pretty good stopping power, but it does attract a lot of dust. You can purchase the KD9 here.
2. D Lillard 2 (tie): The Adidas D Lillard 2 features a storytelling traction pattern with a few different rubber options including a solid rubber, translucent, or Continental rubber. The D Lillard 2 also has a problem with dust, and as far as stopping power, it ties with the KD9.
1. Crazylight Boost 2016: The Adidas Crazylight Boost 2016 utilizes a chaotic herringbone traction pattern with thick grooves and Continental rubber on most colorways. The traction’s performance is insane, on par with the Kobe 9. It requires minimal wiping, and out of the three is the only one that would be okay outdoors.
3. D Lillard 2: The D Lillard 2 features a full length Bounce midsole which provides excellent impact protection, good court feel, and feels very bouncy in the heel.
2. KD9: The KD9 implements a full length, tapered, articulated, and segmented Zoom Air unit. The Zoom unit tapers down from 16 mm in the heel down to 10 mm in the forefoot. The KD9’s cushioning system provides excellent impact protection, it feels pretty bouncy, and gives you plenty of response and court feel.
1. Crazylight Boost 2016: As the name indicates, this shoe uses a full length Boost midsole. The Boost cushion in the Crazylight Boost 2016 is a denser version of Boost than in other shoes. The result is that the midsole is not as mushy in the heel as the D Rose 6 or last year’s Crazylight Boost. The Crazylight Boost 2016’s midsole is also pretty bouncy, still provides excellent impact protection, and feels somewhat responsive.
1. Tie: Crazylight Boost 2016, D Lillard 2, KD9. All three of these shoes boast excellent materials. The KD9 uses Flyknit in the forefoot and mesh in the heel which feels great and is pretty supportive. The Crazylight Boost 2016 and the D Lillard 2 both use a jacquard upper that is light, strong, and comfortable.
2. D Lillard 2: The D Lillard 2 fits pretty well, but it is roomy in the toe area so go down 1/2 of a size.
1. Crazylight Boost 2016 (tie): The Crazylight Boost 2016 fits nicely, it is recommended that you go down 1/2 of a size.
1. KD9 (tie): The KD9’s length is true to size, but keep in mind that it is a narrow shoe.
2. D Lillard 2: The D Lillard 2 is a very supportive shoe for a low top, but it does not tie with the others since the materials do stretch out eventually, causing it to become slightly less supportive.
1. (tie) Crazylight Boost 2016 and KD9: The KD9’s Flyknit upper is soft, but since it fits very well it does provide excellent support. The Crazylight Boost 2016’s jacquard upper feels soft to the foot, but since it does not stretch very much, it provides excellent support in the midfoot to forefoot area.
3. Crazylight Boost 2016: The Crazylight Boost 2016 had a terrible issue with heel slipping, to the point that Don and Sammy could take the shoe off easily with the laces fully tightened.
2. D Lillard 2: Sammy did not have any issues with lockdown in the D Lillard 2, but Don had a little bit of heel slipping.
1. KD9: The KD9 provides excellent lockdown with no problems whatsoever with containment.
Ventilation, Durability, and Aesthetics
Ventilation: (Tie) All three of these shoes are low tops which helps with ventilation, and they are all made of fairly breathable materials. None of these shoes were hot and had no issues with ventilation.
2. D Lillard 2 and KD9: Both shoes are made with durable materials, and the reason that they tie for second is that the rubber content of their outsoles is soft and not incredibly durable.
1. Crazylight Boost 2016: The Crazylight Boost 2016 takes the win for durability since it has thick grooves and a better rubber compound since it uses Continental rubber on most colorways.
3. Crazylight Boost 2016
2. D Lillard 2
All three of these shoes are excellent values for the money, the KD9 retails at $150 (very good considering the amount of tech), the Crazylight Boost 2016 retails at $120, and the D Lillard 2 retails at $105. The KD9 is the lightest of the trio, weighing in at 11.75 ounces (size 8). The Crazylight Boost 2016 weighs in at 12.8 ounces and the D Lillard 2 weighs a whopping 14.04 ounces. On foot, the Crazylight Boost 2016 feels the most streamlined and light, the KD9 also feels very light, and the D Lillard 2 feels light but is noticeably bulkier than the other two. Now the time comes to pick a winner, first I will relay Sammy’s choice for which he would prefer, then I will use a scoring system to create a score and see if I get a by the numbers winner that matches Sammy’s pick for the winner between the Crazylight Boost 2016 VS KD9 VS D Lillard 2. Sammy said he would pick the Crazylight Boost 2016 as the winner, with the KD9 coming in a close second. Even though we love the D Lillard 2, it has been outdone by these incredible shoes. The scoring system I will use to compare the rankings to Sammy’s choice will award 3 points for 1st place in a category, 2 points for second place, and 1 point for 3rd place. In 3rd place with 19 points is the Adidas D Lillard 2. In 2nd place with 20 points is the Adidas Crazylight Boost 2016. In 1st place with 24 points is the Nike KD9. So Sammy picked the Crazylight Boost 2016 with the KD9 in a close second, but the scorecard shows the KD9 winning by 4 points in the match up between the Crazylight Boost 2016 VS KD9 VS D Lillard 2. The best way to know which shoe is right for you is to check out their individual performance reviews, linked above, and see which categories are most important to you and choose the best shoe in those categories. Be sure to let us know what you think in the comments below and check out the Sole Brothers’ video discussion of the Crazylight Boost 2016 VS KD9 VS D Lillard 2 below.